Thursday, November 09, 2006

One fine day in November...





I'm back from my short trip to Kentucky. While there I went out to Poppa's grave and took these pics. It's a beautiful little cemetary way out in the country, supposedly the second oldest in the state. St. Lawerence Church is the first thing you see when you come up the lane. The cemetary is directly across the road...you can see the corner of the fence there on the left.















And then you turn into the drive and wind your ways through the large oaks, past Christ hanging on the cross and Mary kneeling beside him. Poppa is near the back of the cemetary, directly behind Christ.









Poppa was an awesome carpenter just like Grandaddy. . . so it was only fitting to have the tools on the corner of the stone instead of flower or doves or some such. And today I dug out a place for his tool box and will take him a tool or something every visit.











And that ended the trip! After that I drove straight back to "The Farm" in Indiana in time to watch my youngest play her first basketball game (she played all of 1 minute 38 seconds!). All in all it was a good trip.

I went to Brat's old house but no one was at home. I will take pic of that and on the next trip. It's a beautiful and unusual house!





15 comments:

Kentucky Brat said...

it did turn out nice, didn't it?

You hadn't told me you were taking the tool box, when did you decide that? I like it, don't think anyone will mess with it?

*Dark things come to mind*

Thou Shall Not Fuck With Pappas Tools

Kentucky Brat said...

oh yeah.. the pics are great. Did you take more than just these? If so.. email'em ok?

KentuckyCritter said...

I didn't really think of the tool box until after I left him screwdriver last time (it was the only thing I could find in the car). The screwdriver was kind of a spur of the moment thing so when I went out today I took the tool box...it has a hammer in it, little pieces of wood and some sandpaper, not to mention the screwdriver and the Totsie Roll from last time.

I don't think anyone will mess with it...not out there...there are things all over the graves out there...

will send the other pics in a sec...

Kentucky Brat said...

I wanta put something in...

send your address (as I don't have the address to the farm).

This will fit in an envelope.

Spilling Ink said...

The pictures turned out great and it's very cool that you brought the tool box. Welcome back home, Critter!

KentuckyCritter said...

thanks Lynn!!

It was a beautiful day...sun shining and around 70....I hope it stays that way...when it's raining and cold I'm a little black cloud!!

going to bed *yawn* all that driving, not to mention digging (little shovel broke but I managed) has wore me out...

Brat-will send pics and addy tomorrow

Night Night

Eddie said...

love the tool box, he is so proud of you, and hope to see many tools come his way, love to all

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

You were so thoughtful and it was such an unselfish thing for you to do, to leave his toolbox with him. I know how much it must also mean to you and I hope that it is left alone and in place.

I agree about the headstone...the tools are much more fitting than roses & such, since he loved working with tools as a carpenter.

Thank you for sharing the pictures.
I think you need a hug after your trip and I can't wait to see Critter's house.

Sandy

eclectic said...

That's beautiful, Critter. My daddy was born 1932 and died July 2004. It's hard to let them go. But I like the "Thou shall not fuck with pappa's tools". My dad would have liked that.

Bugwit said...

Nice pics! I'll have to read up and learn all the toolbox commandments!

Bugwit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kentucky Brat said...

Critter - if you think about it. The "thou shall not" thing is pretty good... I wrote it thinking no one better mess with it. BUT... he... well you know.

Spilling Ink said...

Rick, I think that's because Brat and Critter rock!

Kentucky Brat said...

we Rock.. and we Roll too!

Rick, you don't have to comment... but please please just sign in and post... I love me some Johnny Depp.

KentuckyCritter said...

yeah, Thanks Rick...

and you too, Lynn...

Brat--yes, I did LOVE the "Thou shalt not fuck with Poppa's tool" comment...and yeah, I know...