Friday, October 13, 2006

Brat and Critter return to Fern Valley

Brat came up from Florida last week bringing girl child and Pedro (hubby...not Hispanic but a nickname given to him by my hubby...that's another story). Pedro worked on my vehicles (I'm forever in his debt!) and Brat and I sat on the back porch in our usual spots reminiscing about Poppa and our childhood. There were tears of sadness and tears from laughter...our usual that makes people wonder if we are sane at all.

We got to talking about Jefferies Cliffs and our little cave we use to camp out in and decided to make a hike out to it... Jefferies is 25 miles or so from town and located maybe a mile south of the Ohio River. I reckon at one time the river came through them and hence the huge caverns that were formed. The cliffs range up to 100 feet in some spots...maybe higher. It's a good 20 minute hike from the road to the cliffs and being there is like stepping back in time. Our little cave was located on the west side of the cliffs and years ago there was a two foot wide path that hugged the cliffs and wound around to our little cave. The cave is nothing more than an open cavern about 30 feet long 7 feet high and 12 to 15 feet deep. What made it even more secluded was a small hill that started right in front the cave that rose just high enough that if you were on the other side of the hill the cave could be completely overlooked. The problem was the trail hugging the cliff was gone...completely overgrown with brambles. Seemed the little cave was forgotten by most.

No problem...we drug our lame asses...huffing and puffing through the underbrush and after 20 or 30 minutes found it. We were delighted to find the fire pit that WE built in '78 or '79 still there, along with our grate we had put over the fire to cook on. We were PISSED to find someone had recently left their trash (umm, there were still a few who knew of it then). But no matter, we cleaned up built a fire, roasted some Brauts and had a great afternoon.

Now of course "nature called"....meaning we had to pee, dumbass...so I choose to go over the hill and low and behold there was a little gully running through it full of ferns that looked perfect. We both used this spot several times during the afternoon. Right before we left I visited the gully again and this is where things got interesting.

Here I squat with pants around ankles, talking to myself about how I wish I had some TP but then wouldn't have anyplace to throw it away and surely wasn't gonna carry, when I hear a noise above my own senseless prattle. I shut up and listen and then I freeze. Pants around ankles and hands with fingers splayed frozen a few inches off the ground. The sound is a hissing blowing noise followed by a RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE....OH SHIT!! (and I nearly did!) it's a damn rattlesnake!!! My heart starts to beat again and the adrenalin is flowing... the sound is close...like right behind me! OH SHIT!!! I'm still peeing and maintaining the stance of a downhill skier....OH SHIT!!! I have my ass stuck in the face of a rattlesnake and he is PISSED off (possibly pissed ON at this point).

I can't run because I'm still peeing (just my luck every muscle froze but THAT one) and besides my pants are around my ankles. I decide to leap straight forward and pull my pants up in mid air but am concerned I'm out of shape and it will be only a hop and the snake will be faster and leap further than me latching onto my ass or even worse, my twat...OH SHIT keeps running through my mind. Finally, I stop watering the little ferns around me and put my plan into action. The adrenalin was flowing and I think I leapt about 3 feet straight in front of my yanking undies and jeans up in one motion.

I spun around and sure enough, there's a big rattler coiled up and ready to strike but now that my ass was safe... and I mean that literally... MY ASS was safe, I began to calm down some. I was only able to speak in monosyllables though.

"Brat. Brat. Snake. Rattlesnake."
"Where? You sure?"
pointing "Yes. Come. Look."
Being the crazy nut that she is, Brat actually walks up to it and checks it out and says "That's one pissed off mother fucker."
As we're walking back to the cave I tell her how he was almost a pissed ON mother fucker and being the good friend that she is, she laughs her ass off at me. I take several steps and say "Damn, I must have gotten some twigs in my undies." Several more steps and I say "Excuse me but these damn twigs are painful as hell" and I drop my pants, undies and all, and pull out an eight inch long fern. Brat hits the ground laughing so hard I thought she would PISS her pants.

When we returned we told Pedro what had occurred and he promptly named the place Fern Valley. And I think we shall call it that from now on.

13 comments:

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I can hear the EMT: "You want me to put my antivenom WHERE?!"

Kentucky Brat said...

I need to put my 2 cents worth in here...

1 - I'm not sure "sane" is a word anyone would use for us.

2 - the "small hill" in front of our little cave is big enough that even with a good fire burning, hiking over that small hill to the little creek (which was always 2 hairs away from ice cold, were we would keep all our meat and drinks and not worry about the meat going bad or the drinks being warm) is "big" enough that you could only see a faint glow of the fire, and you couldn't see your hand 3" from your face.

3 - "huffing & puffing".. hence no path, and trying to stay as close to the cliffs as possible. We were hiking a slope that made you feel like one leg was about 12" shorter than the other one. My heart no longer resided in my chest. It moved to my head! I am NOT joking.

4 - I lugged my camera up there, got 3 pictures and the battery went dead. Neither of us, had a single brain cell left to realize that we BOTH had expensive cell phones complete with photo @ videos in our pocket.

5 - we did carry a small grocery bag of trash out, and whoever might use our little cave better take better care of it. Or I will find & stalk your ass until the perfect time to beat your ass.

6 - It was a great afternoon!

7 - I don't remember ever taking any TP up there, so I have no idea why she was bitchen about it. Hell, we never took a bar of soap, hair brush or anything other than 2 sleeping bags and food. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why we even took 2 sleeping bags. Even in the summer it would get so cold that we would end up in the same one trying to stay warm. (and I don't want to hear any bullshit over that either!)

8 - she was hollering "snake, snake" well before she ever made her giant leap to safty. And I thought she was just joking, cause we'd been talking about snakes since we started the hike.

9 - I might be a crazy nut... but I didn't almost pee on a fucken rattle snake! And he WAS pissed off (if not pissed on) but he sure was pretty!

10 - "Being the good friend that I am" is just bullshit! I don't care who had been there, had you seen her jerk her pants down around her knees and pull that 8" long and 5" wide fern leaf out of her drawers YOU would have laughted! (oh yeah, I think Pedro named it Fern Gully, not Fern Valley... but I personally like them BOTH!)

Kentucky Brat said...

HAH! Bloggy.. they don't put antivenom ON the bite. But I will tell you she was twat worried!! Which made it that much more funny!

Eddie said...

would sell my shorts for a picture of it all, to see critter jumping and pulling up pants at same time would be great

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

This post is hilarious. I could just picture every moment of your attempt to make the leap away from the pissed off rattlesnake.

I have to share this story...it's too funny not to be read by others.

Kentucky Brat said...

Hey Pasadena!

I hope you share it.. This is such a typical story, of the many that Critter and I share. 45 years can bring about so many stories, I don't know how we're gonna get even a fraction of them on this blog. But, its been fun trying.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Spilling Ink said...

I hope you do post many, many more stories. That one was damn good!

KentuckyCritter said...

Yep...lots of stories...one or the other of us making an ass of ourself...this time when I showed my ass it was close to being bit.

And I did misname the title to the blog...shoulda been Fern Gully...

and I was whining about TP because I hate to "drip dry"

And Brat is a great friend...will laugh at me when I need it...tell me to shut up when I'm whining...bring a shovel when there's a body to be buried...and bail me out of the slammer (if she isn't sitting there beside me)

Kentucky Brat said...

ya know Critter.. we have never been to jail together! (always something to look forward to)

I won't comment on the other "friend list things".. LOL

I will ask if you remember, headed back to town after a night or so up in Fern Gully, looking like 2 Neanderthals (remember my sister wouldn't even open the door, cause she didn't recognize us) and having some jackass tail gating us on HWY 60? Am I dreaming this, or did I not actually slam on the brakes in the middle of the highway and us both come out of the car? Remember, he put it in reverse, backed up about 60 yards, and stayed there the rest of the way into town.

Kentucky Brat said...

Rick... you just read the entire blog? As I've said before (about you) YOU have WAY to much time on your hands! LOL

It is all true! Hell I can't make-up my damn bed let alone a good story!

Kentucky Brat said...

Rick - don't worry with reading the archives! Nothing good in them anyway. I didn't put to much into it until I invited Critter to join in. So, as far as I'm concerned... you DID read the whole blog!!

Glad ya liked it.

Leon's current assignment said...

Holy shit this was hilarious. I swear on the graves of all my current and future patients (because, yeah, I'm like that) I WILL ABSOLUTELY RETURN TO THIS FANFUCKINGTASTIC SITE.

Oh my god did this post give me JUST what I needed right now.

Kentucky Brat said...

Thanks PT.. that makes me feel good.