Saturday, July 29, 2006

Eulogy of James E Hamilton

April 19,1937 - July 19,2006



written and given by his daughter, Critter


Our dad was simple man even though it took me years to figure him out. So simple he was complicated.
He may have come across as opinionated in some ways but when it came to emotions, feelings and deep beliefs he rarely spoke of these.
He was strong in his faith but this was a very private matter between himself and his God. It would have been hard, if not impossible, for him to talk about it.
He was a strong supporter of his family. He quit school when he was in the sixth grade to work full time making sure his brothers and sisters never felt the hunger he did as a small child. This continued for years and as a small child myself, I can remember packing in groceries on our weekly Sunday trips "up home" to Grandmamma and Grandaddy’s.
I also remember a couple of his sisters living with us on different occasions when I was a child. And we all know how well he took care of Grandmamma . . . mowing her yard for 10 or 15 years after Grandaddy died, upkeep on the house, buying her that car . . . Yes, he had a very special relationship with his Mother.
And even after I moved back home he was still trying to help and protect his family . . . like when Uncle Don cut his fingers off on the band saw. Pop showed up unannounced at Uncle Don’s and quietly replaced the guard because he, like the rest of us, knew it should’ve never been taken off in the first place.
Poppa was a good father. Sure, he made his mistakes like we all do as parents, but he loved us dearly and was always there when we needed him: never giving us too much but making sure we learned to stand on our own two feet. And in this world, that’s one of the greatest gifts he could’ve given Sis and me.
And here’s something I didn’t realize the full extent of until recently and that was the many friends he helped along the way: remodeling, plumbing, yard work, repairing their vehicles, buying vehicles if needed, bringing them fresh vegetable and his famous canned tomatoes . . . and one who had cancer that Poppa took care for a week until the man’s family could arrive from out of town.
The thing of it is there are probably many more examples we’ll never know of because he would never brag or boast. He did as Christ instructed us to do, "Tend my sheep," so he did this . . . quietly and without seeking praise nor a pat on the back.
And now Poppa is happy . . . so this should be a day of celebration for him. Our pain is great, and at times seems almost unbearable, but his is over. He is with his family, his momma and his daddy, his brothers, and his sister. Can you imagine the reunion? Oh, how I wish I could see that reunion! But I’m sure Aunt Dorothy will show me the pictures when I get there.
And I can almost picture him with Christ . . . who is probably pretty exasperated right now. Poppa is telling him, "I know you’re a carpenter and they say you’re perfect but it’s a good thing I got here when I did. Now let me show you a better way to build these "many mansions."
Yes, our Dad was one of a kind and we’ll miss him terribly.
But I’m so glad you found your peace at last, my Poppa.
Shalom, James Earl Hamilton, Shalom.

3 comments:

Eddie said...

That was wonderful, critter really did a great job.

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Nicely said.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That's a wonderful tribute to your dad and he lived his life honorably and honestly and with a loving & giving heart.

I'm very sorry for your loss and losing my dad just a few short years ago, I can understand how you feel. God bless you.